This is part three of a series that focuses on how to use automation to improve agility and accelerate data initiatives.
In 2023, companies will face new challenges as they migrate to the cloud, integrate new systems, and try to manage, control, and protect resulting data. Security leaders, at times being asked to do more with less, will increasingly need to incorporate automation, along with AI and ML, to secure their rapidly evolving environments. Automation can help security leaders effectively protect their organization’s data in the face of rising threats.
Automation plays a vital role in BigID’s strategy for safeguarding data. Here are eight ways BigID has automated data security to take the burden off of our customers:
- Cloud Data Source Discovery: Data security starts with knowing what you have. BigID’s Auto-Discovery apps automatically discover data sources across cloud environments, saving countless hours and eliminating blind spots. Onboard cloud data sources across AWS, GCP, and Azure with a few simple clicks. Connect to your cloud account, and automatically discover all new, updated, and deleted data sources within a particular cloud environment. Also, create, update, and delete corresponding data sources directly within the BigID console.
- Hyperscan: BigID’s Hyperscan automatically and intelligently predicts where sensitive data is across an organization’s data landscape, enabling you to discover and classify critical, sensitive, personal, and regulated data faster and more accurately, dramatically reducing scan time with over 95% accuracy. Expedite the classification, cataloging, and correlation of critical & sensitive data in high-volume file stores like Office 365, Sharepoint, AWS S3, and more for data compliance, privacy, remediation, access governance, cloud migration, minimization, and retention. Automate the scheduled frequency of scanning at a cadence that meets the needs of your organization’s data initiatives.
- Data Classification: Once data scanning is initiated across your data sources, automatically classify all types of data, wherever it may live – in the cloud or on-prem. Go beyond traditional pattern-matching approaches and leverage advanced ML classification based on NLP and NER, AI insight based on deep learning, and patented analysis classification. Automatically categorize your data based on hundreds of OOB and custom classifiers to accurately understand the sensitivity or criticality of your structured, unstructured, or semi-structured data. Automatically populate, update, and maintain the details about your data through a single, “self-healing” data asset inventory.
- Data Labeling: Automatically apply equivalent sensitivity classification rules, and corresponding labels, through policy-driven tools like DLP across disparate environments. Gain confidence in knowing that a standardized set of classification rules are being applied anywhere your data exists – on-prem or in the cloud, structured and unstructured. Then, automatically set the same governance rules and policies across all your data environments with BigID.
- Access Intelligence & Rights Management: Automatically uncover overexposed data and overprivileged users or groups across the environment. By discovering, classifying, and cataloging your data, you can also gain insight into who has access to sensitive files and which ones have unfettered access, internally and externally. Define user access types based on the accessibility level of data, apply tags to files, and define policies to detect access type violations. Automatically kick off workflows to remediate sensitive data exposure and revoke access rights to individuals and groups.
- Data Remediation: Automate the remediation of high-risk, sensitive, and regulated data across the environment. Define policies around specific types of data that need attention and remediation. When policies are triggered, drill into the findings to investigate or automatically kick off remediation workflows via the BigID Action Center. Automate specific actions such as making an API call, sending an email, or opening a Jira ticket to enable remediation, whether that’s masking, deleting, quarantining, or encrypting the data. Accelerate SecOps and improve productivity, shifting your focus to more critical items needing attention.
- Data Risk Reporting: Automate the creation and delivery of a variety of dashboards and reports about your data risk. These include out-of-the-box app, core, and product dashboards, as well as the Executive Risk Report. The Executive Risk Report is an easy-to-understand and automated way to generate actionable risk reporting about the most critical data across your entire environment. Quickly develop an executive summary of the most important insights about data-at-risk to drive decision-making and monitor risk reduction over time. Measure and communicate the value and impact of BigID on your data environment to your management and stakeholders.
Our mission is to automate and accelerate data security, compliance, privacy, and governance. Our product and engineering teams are continually looking for ways to incorporate automation throughout the platform and individual applications. Stay tuned for more developments!
BigID helps organizations of all sizes manage, protect, and get more value out of their data anywhere it exists — on-prem or in the cloud. Start saving time, eliminating manual efforts, and executing your data privacy, security, and governance initiatives today. Get a 1:1 demo to see BigID in action.